Corrugated is viewed as a sustainable packaging material. There are 3 elements that support corrugated as an earth friendly option. They are:
- Materials are made from material supplied by Sustainable Forestry Initiative participants. The initiatives and standards set forth by the SFIS ensure the long term viability of North American Forests. Through SFIS monitored requirements, an estimated 1.7 million trees are planted per day. By responsibly managing this renewable resource, corrugated is the outright leader in sustainable feedstock materials.
- Approximately 60% of the energy used by the U.S. paper industry comes from renewable biofuels. By not relying on petroleum based energy, corrugated leads the way in alternative energy processing.
- Corrugated is the outright leader in recyclable packaging materials. Over 25 million tons of corrugated is recycled and the average amount of recycled content in finished corrugated containers exceeds 40%.
• In addition to the above, the corrugated industry practices the “3-R” approach to sustainability. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. In the past 15 years, almost 20% of the corrugated content has been reduced from finished shipping containers. Less unit content means less total waste.
Corrugated Manufacturing Fast Facts:
- 93% of corrugated boxes are made with material supplied by Sustainable Forestry Initiative.
- Corrugated is the most recycled packaging material in use today. Over 78% of all containers are recovered for recycling.
- The average corrugated container has over 40% recycled content.
- Corrugated is reusable.
- Landaal Packaging Systems has taken strides to improve the waste water disposal system within our operations. Our process filters out harmful metals and reduces ammonia levels. The remaining enzyme-enhanced water is then disposed of through standard drainage, actually bringing value to the treatment plants.
- Landaal Packaging Systems is currently developing an improved recycling method for old corrugated containers. This process requires less energy consumption, less water usage and results in a higher quality finished product.